Prayer Requests

  • That God would give me strength to make it through the day! I've been tired lately!
  • ~That God would continue to provide for me in every way - including a way to work through different experiences.
  • ~That I will be able to assimilate to the culture, be willing to laugh at situations that go wrong, and do my best to understand the Filipinos.
  • ~God has brought in all of my support! Praise the Lord for His faithfulness!

Thursday, August 6, 2009

First Days

Errrt. Errrrt. Errrrrrt. Eeerrrrt.

I hit the snooze button on my alarm clock. 4:30 am. Though it was way too early to be awake, that is what I had to do, for today was the first day of school, and we had to leave by 6:15 am. I got up and got ready for my first day of school at Faith Academy! I put on my newest outfit (which I absolutely love), spent some time with God, ate breakfast, and prepared my lunch before grabbing my purple umbrella and walking out the door with Sam and Linda, my housemates.

We drove to school in the pouring rain. It had rained very hard for two days straight, and water flooded the streets.


We arrived at school about 15 minutes later and made our way to our classrooms. After dropping off my lunch in the middle school fridge (and spilling drink mix all over my computer and the floor, which later caused ants to be all over my computer bag), I made my way to my classroom. I dropped off my things and headed back to the MS lounge for staff devotions. We prayed together for about ten minutes, and then we headed to Tipunan hall to begin the day.


During the assembly, the students sat anxiously as they received their instructions for the day. After instructions, all of us staff introduced ourselves - where we'd be teaching and a high or low memory from when we were in middle school. Laughter filled the room as the students listened to our stories, followed by great rounds of applause. As soon as they could, the students ran to receive their schedules and head off to second period.

Today was filled with observations. I observed Mrs. Briscoe as she began her classes (the ones I will be teaching) as well as Mr. Lake, whom I'll be aiding second quarter for a class or two. I have received a lot of ideas on how to begin a school year, and I've met a lot of neat kids! I was able to take all of the pictures of the sixth graders for our bulletin board (except for one who broke her arm this week and got a concussion playing lazer tag). I'm going to use them to learn their names, many of which are Korean!


The classroom is excellent - filled with minds of all kinds from all nations. I love it! It is such a beautiful picture of the body of Christ!

I can't wait to see what the future semester holds! I knew today as I walked through the "hallways" (which are outdoor, and thus the reason I put hallways in quotes) that this is what I was meant to do. I was created to be a teacher - I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt. I can't wait to get to teaching and then one day have my own classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment